Chinese eggplants( small sized brinjal) : 8 no.s (Slit the eggplants into quarters leaving the stalk part.You will have four quarters of the eggplant attached at one end)
Chopped onion : 1/2 cup
Chopped tomato : 1/2 cup
White sesame seeds : 1/2 teable spoon
Unsalted roasted peanuts : 1/2 cup
Coriander seeds : 1 tea spoon
Shredded coconut : 2 table spoon
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tea spoon
Dry red chilli : 2 no
Red chilli powder : 1 tea spoon(Adjust accordingly)
Garam masala powder : 1/2 tea spoon
Ginger & Garlic paste : 1/2 tea spoon
Kasoori methi : 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tea spoon
Cloves : 2 no
Bay leaf : 1
Cinnamon : 1" piece
Cardamom : 1
Sugar : 1/4 tea spoon
Salt : 1/2 table spoon (Adjust accordingly)
Tamarind water : 1/4 cup (Soak tamrind in 1/4 cup of hot water for 15 minutes,squeeze tamrind and strain it)
Vegetable oil : 2 table spoon
Water : 1/2 cup
For tempering :
Unsalted butter : 1/2 table spoon
Asafoetida : 1/8 tea spoon
* In a nonstick pan heat a table spoon of oil and add in cumin seeds once it starts to change the color add in eggplants. Allow to cook in the oil and slowly turn it around making sure that the eggplants dont break. Add salt to eggplants and allow it to cook just enough(50%). Switch off the flame.
* In a microwave safe bowl,add in the coriander seeds,cumin seeds,white sesame seeds,bay leaf,cloves,cinnamon,cardamom and dry red chilli. Microwave this for 1 minutes.
* After one minute take out the plate from microwave and stirr it once and add in roasted peanuts and shredded coconut. Microwave this for 30 seconds.
* Take out the plate from microwave and allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
(If you dont have microwave, In a non stick pan dry roast the every ingredient separately and allow it to cool for 10 minutes)
* In a blender make a fine paste of roasted ingredients by using little amount of water.
* In a nonstick pan heat a table spoon of oil, add cumin seeds and chopped onion. Saute for 1 minute in a medium flame.
* Now add in ginger & garlic paste,turmeric powder and chopped tomato, saute until raw smell goes away.
* Add the grinded paste,red chilli powder,kasoori methi,water and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
* Now add the sauteed eggpants,tamrind water and sugar. Mix everything well and close the nonstick pan with a lid and cook in a medium flame until done.(When oil separates from the gravy, dish is done)
* Before serving , in a small saute pan heat butter and add in asafoetida,once asafoetida starts to change color add it into dish and mix it well.
* Serve with hot white rice,chapathi or with Naan.
* I served this curry with Naan (Recipe here).
wow - this is so good for rice....though i don't eat brinjal i love only the gravy part everytime...
I love Brinjal a lot.. This gravy looks so delicious
Delicious eggplant love this curry.
Passing on my Liebster Award...
This is such a delicious looking curry! I have never worked with whole eggplants before in a curry. I am going to try this :)
this is something really new and different.Thanks for sharing.
Long time ago I prepared this..looks so delicious!
Flavorful dish dear
Win flipkart vouchers from 27coupons.com. Enter now
Come participate and win healthy Hudson canola oil hampers
Yes, it is very good for rice and chapathi and also for naan too :)
Thanks Divya :)
Thanks Swathi :)
Thanks Priya, I will collect the award :)
Do try this curry sandhya, i'm sure you love it :)
Thanks Princy, Do try and let me know your feedback :)
Thanks Vani :)
Thank u Vimitha :)
this looks absolutely gorgeous... beautiful clicks...
Post a Comment