For Idly batter :
Idly rice : 1 cup
Urad dal : 1/4 cup
Rice flakes(poha) : 1/4 cup
Salt : 1/4 tea spoon
Cold water for grinding : 1/8 cup
* Wash and soak idly rice in a cold water for 4 hours.
* Wash and soak Urad dal in a separate bowl for 2 hours.
* Wash and soak rice flakes in a separate bowl for 2 hours.
* After 2 hour drain water from urad dal and rice flakes and transfer it into a mixie jar, make a very fine paste from it. ( use 1 to 2 table spoon of water while grinding )
* Now drain the water from soaked idly rice and put them in the mixer jar and run the mixer for about 1 minute. (You need rice in the fine semolina consistency)
* Transfer idly batter to a big plastic bowl (must) and add salt into it. Using your hand mix the batter well for about 1 minute.
Close the bowl with lid and put the batter in a warm place for fermentation( overnight ).
(Better keep it in microwave itself-but do not switch on the microwave)
* Grease the coffee mug with a drop off coconut oil.
* Take out the batter from microwave and give it a gentle stir using spoon.
* Pour 2 table spoon of batter in a coffee mug and keep it in microwave at HIGH temperature for 1 minute.
* After cooking keep it in microwave itself for about 2 minutes and later check the idly by inserting cocktail pick into idly. If it's comes out clean idly is ready or else microwave it again for 15 to 20 seconds.
Serve idly with Chutney or with any Curry.