Moong dal : 1 cup
Basmati rice : 1 cup
Milk : 1/2 cup
Water : 5 cup
Salt : 1/2 Tspn ( According to your taste )
Green chilli : 3
Cilantro : 3 Tspn
Crushed black pepper : 1 Tspn
Ghee : 3 Tspn
Turmeric powder : 1/4 Tspn
Sugar : 1/4 Tspn
Chopped ginger : 1 Tspn
Chopped cashews : 3 Tspn
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Tspn
Asafoetida : 1/4 Tspn
Shredded Coconut : 2 Tspn
Method :* In a pan heat 1/2 tspn of ghee and add moong dal , continuously saute until you will get a good aroma from moong dal in a low flame. ( It will take approximately 3 to 4 minutes )
* Wash basmati rice for 3 to 4 times in cold water,drain the water and keep it ready to use.
* Slit all the green chillies and keep it ready to use.
* In a pressure cooker heat 1/2 Tspn of ghee,add 2 piece of green chilli,turmeric powder and 1/2 Tspn of ginger suate this for 30 seconds.
* Add water and milk into this mixture and keep it to boil. ( Boiling time will be approximately 2 to 3 minutes )
* Now add fried moong dal,rice and 1/4 tspn of salt and pressure cook this for 5 to 6 whistles in a medium flame.
* In a pan heat rest of the ghee and add cumin seeds,after 10 seconds add rest of the ginger and green chilli then saute it for 30 seconds.
* Now add black pepper powder,Asafoetida and cashews fry until cahsews start change in the color.
* After pressure completely goes off from the cooker, open it and transfer the rice and moong dal mixture into above mixture.
* Add sugar,salt,shredded coconut and cilantro into it.
* Cook the pongal for 2 to 3 minutes in a low flame.
* Serve hot with any chutney/curry or just with yogurt.
Pictoral Steps :