Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Breakfast Sambhar ..
Moong dal : 1/3 cup
Chopped onion : 1/2 cup
Chopped tomato : 1/2 cup
Slitted green chilli : 4 pieces
Chopped brinjal : 1/2 cup
Chopped potato : 1/4 cup
Tamarind extract : 1 table spoon
Asafoetida : 1/8 tea spoon
Jaggery : 1/2 tea spoon ( adjust if you like sweetish sambhar)
Cilantro : 2 tea spoon + extra for garnishing
Salt : 1/2 table spoon(adjust if required)
Water : 3 cups(Adjust if required)
Ghee : 2 tea spoon
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tea spoon
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tea spoon
Asafoetida : A pinch
Sambhar powder :
Channa daal : 1 and 1/2 table spoon
Coriander seeds : 1 and 1/2 tea spoon
Dried red chillies : 2 (Adjust if required)
Fenugreek seeds : 1/4 tea spoon
Vegetable oil : 1/2 table spoon
Method to prepare sambhar powder :
* In a non stick pan heat little amount of oil and add channa dal,fry till it the nice aroma comes out from channa dal,then remove it and keep it to cool.
* Now add little amount of oil into same pan and fry remaining ingridients and remove from the flame and allow it to cool.
* In a blender combine all together and make a fine powder without adding water.
Method to prepare sambhar :
* Wash and soak the moong dal for 10 minutes.
* Pressure cook the moong dal for 3 whistles then mash it and keep it ready to use.
* Heat non stick pan with vegetable oil and temper with the items given under ‘Tempering’ in ingridients list.
* Add onion and fry till it turns to transparent. Now add the chopped vegetables and tomato together and fry in medium flame for 2 minutes.
* Add little salt while frying for easy cooking of the vegetables.
* Add required water and the tamarind extract and boil this mixture till the vegetables get cooked well.
* Add the curry leaves,cilantro leaves,salt(according to your taste),asafoetida.
* Lastly add the sambar powder and bring to boil.
* Add the cooked moong dal and mix well.
* Adjust the water as needed to get a sambar consistency. Bring this into boil and garnish with cilantro leaves.
* Serve with idly,dosa, pongal or with any breakfast dishes.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
cant resist myself grab that bowl!!!!
yumm yumm sambhar...
Melting Cookies - Low fat version
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Delicious & mouthwatering dish...
Contest :Agar Agar Recipe Contest
Event :Cook like a Celebrity Chef
Post a Comment