Monday, December 17, 2012
Fenugreek leaves Palav / Methi Pulao ..
Basmati rice : 1 cup
Fenugreek leaves(chopped) : 1 cup
Onion (Sliced) : 1/2 cup
Garam masala powder : 1 tea spoon
Water : 1 and 1/2 cup
Lemon juice : 1 tea spoon
Bay leaf : 1
Cinnamon : 1 inch piece
Cloves : 2
Green chilli (sliced) : 4
Red chilli powder : 1/4 tea spoon
Sugar : 1/4 tea spoon
Salt : 1/2 tea spoon ( According to your taste)
Vegetable oil : 1 table spoon
Unsalted Butter : 1 table spoon
Tomato(chopped) : 1/2 cup
Garlic pods(finely chopped) : 1/4 tea spoon
Cumin powder : 1/2 tea spoon
Coriander powder : 1/2 tea spoon
Fennel seeds (coarsely crushed) : 1 tea spoon
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tea spoon
* Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the rice and keep it ready to use.
* Heat oil and butter together in a non stick pan. To this add fennel seeds,cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cloves and fry 30 seconds.
* Add sliced onions and turmeric powder and fry until onion turn transperent.
* Now add garlic and green chilli, fry well for 1 minute or until the raw smell goes away.
* Add fenugreek leaves and fry for another 2 mins.
* Add garam masala powder,red chilli powder,coriander powder,cumin powder,sugar,salt,lemon juice and fry for 1-2 mins.
* Now add drained basmati rice and fry well for 1 to 2 minutes.
* Transfer this mixture into a rice cooker and add 1 and 1/2 cup of water into it.
* Stirr it once and taste the liquid to adjust salt,if required add salt at this point.
* In a cooking mode cook the rice.(as you cook white rice in rice cooker).
* Serve hot with any raita or with yogurt/curd.
Posted by Shree Kannepadi